Surgery

2:00 PM

A week ago I had my surgery. Luckily, the week before the surgery was busy & I didn't have much time to worry. I did get in a huge cleaning frenzy the night before though & made Nate help me with cleaning the entire house. I vacuumed the whole house, steam cleaned all the tile, washed all of the laundry & sheets, cleaned the kitchen, & had Nate clean the bathrooms & showers. I love being in a clean house & knew that if I was going to be home all week I wanted everything to be super clean. We went to bed Wednesday night & then got up early Thursday to get ready & drive down to the hospital. We were supposed to get there at 9:00 am which was perfect because I just wanted to get everything done with & not have to worry about anything.

We got to the hospital & checked in. Then I was quickly taken into a room to get ready for the surgery. There were 4 different nurses in the room & they were all so nice & friendly. They had me do a urine sample to take a pregnancy test- negative of course, change into a gown & socks, take my wedding ring off (one of the nurses helped me because I could not get it off!), put these sticky pads on my tailbone & feet, & then as one nurse was asking me questions, another nurse did the IV. That was what I was most nervous for, but it was actually not too bad because the other nurse was asking me questions & so many things were going on that it was easy to not focus on the IV.

Then Nate was allowed to come back so he sat by me & we watched Fixer Upper & he tried to make me not nervous by rolling all around the room on a chair & making me laugh. I am so thankful to always have him by my side. The nurses had said it might be up to 2 hours before I went in for the surgery because Dr. Magrina was working on another surgery. Right after they said that though, Dr. Magrina & another doctor came in & he said he had just finished. He asked us if we had any questions & we asked him a few questions that we had written down. He is such a nice doctor & answered all of our questions & made us laugh. He introduced the other doctor with him, Dr. Wasson, who would be helping with the surgery as well & would do our follow up. Then the anesthesiologist came in & talked to us a little & then a PA came in & talked to us.

Then they asked if I would like something to make me relax for before the surgery. I said yes so quickly!!! They gave me something to relax, then I said bye to Nate, & then they wheeled my down the hall. It felt kind of surreal being pushed down a hospital lying on a bed, going into surgery. Then I was in the room & there were these huge, odd shaped lights up on the ceiling & lots of people. They helped switch me onto the bed & halfway through that is all I remember. I don't remember being on the bed all the way, so I must have just fell asleep even before getting the anesthesia. I guess I respond very quickly to relaxant medicine, haha!!

The next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room & having a nurse bring me shortbread cookies & water. She told me they would get my husband & then 15 minutes later Nate was there (he had given blood while he was waiting & then went to get my medicine from the hospital pharmacy). We we were joking before that he could just spend the whole day at the hospital because they had all these signs for yoga, martial arts, & other classes that he kept saying he would need to go to. I rested for about an hour & then got dressed & then someone pushed me in a wheelchair down to the car.

​I felt a little out of it, but pretty good & Nate was starving, so we wend to Midici to get pizza & I had a little salad. Then we headed home! I am so thankful for all of the wonderful staff at the Mayo Clinic, they were amazing & I felt like the care there was great! Dr. Magrina had come out to talk to Nate & told him that the surgery went very well. They were able to remove the septum completely & also checked out my uterus, cervix, & fallopian tubes (which were not blocked from the outside). They said that they think that we should be able to get pregnant without fertility treatments which would be soooo amazing! Even if we could get pregnant by IUI that would be amazing as well!

I just keep thinking how amazing it would be if I could be pregnant by Christmas this year! I remember the past 3 Christmas' wishing that so badly. Or thinking how wonderful it would be to have a baby by the next Christmas. I remember driving home from an appointment with my fertility doctor, getting ready for an IUI & hearing the song, Noel, as I was driving home. I had thought that was such a pretty name & thought, what if it's a sign that we will get pregnant this IUI & be pregnant by Christmas. Sadly, the IUI was unsuccessful & we were so sad & disappointed. 3 1/2 years later & I have still never been pregnant but I am hoping for a Christmas miracle this year! I will never give up hope!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images