Sadness & Hope

12:47 PM

This past weekend, we stayed with some friends that we used to live by. It was so great to see them & even though it had been 2 years, it felt like it had only been 2 weeks since we'd seen them. One of the days, as we were hiking, we got on the subject of having kids. I nervously shared that Nate & I had been trying to get pregnant for over a year and a half & haven't been able to yet. Then my friend excitedly shared that she was actually pregnant. She told me that when she started trying to get pregnant, she had to wait a few months before getting pregnant, so there was hope for me. I am so happy for her that she is pregnant, but at the same time I felt so sad & had to hold back tears. When Nate & I got back to our car, I had a long, hard cry. I almost never cry, but lately I have been having some hard cries. I know that a 18 months isn't a tremendous amount of time to be waiting & many, many others wait much longer, including my sister who is a great example of a wonderful mother & always makes me feel better when I talk to her.

The rest of the visit, my friend kept talking about pregnancy symptoms & hard it was to not be able to feel like eating anything when she loved eating so much. It was hard for me to not say anything & act sympathetic when I would give anything to be pregnant & have a baby. I don't blame my friend for hurting my feelings because I know she didn't mean to & I am so excited for her to be a mom.

I did decide that if & when I do get pregnant, I will do everything I can to be sympathetic for others that might be struggling with infertility. I will be so grateful to be able to be pregnant, & I will do everything I can to be the best mother & to appreciate every moment. I am writing this down so I remember, but I promise myself that I will not complain about pregnancy, no matter how uncomfortable I may be. I am so excited for the day when I will be pregnant & the excitement that will bring. Nate & I already have baby names picked out & I scared Nate a little the other day by sharing some baby names that would go together cute in case we have twins when I get pregnant (for some reason I have always had a feeling I would have twins). I have hope for the future & am trying to do everything I can to prepare to be a mother. I am thankful for my Heavenly Father & even though this experience of infertility has brought sadness, I know that I have grown closer to my Heavenly Father, learned to be more sympathetic of others & unseen trials they may be going through, & I know that when I do have a child or children, I will have a deep appreciation for them & the role of being a mother.

I know that everything worth waiting for is worth it. I didn't get married until I was 26 which is old in Mormon time. When I am sad about not being pregnant yet, I think about waiting to meet Nate & get married. I had so many experiences before getting married that I am so thankful for. If you asked me right when I graduated, I would have said I wanted to get married at that time, but now I can see that the timing of meeting Nate & getting married was perfect for both of us. I know that is how it will be when we have our first child, that I will be thankful for the time leading up to having them and the strength and closeness with the Lord that I gained. But in the moment it is harder to see. I am thankful for the experiences I have had as well as the trials. I know that they strengthen me and bring me closer to my Father in Heaven. I know that the Lord knows best and I trust Him and His timing.

"Everywhere in nature we are taught the lessons of patience and waiting. We want things a long time before we get them, and the fact that we want them a long time makes them all the more precious when they come." -Joseph F. Smith.

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." -Proverbs 3:5-6



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. ASh..... I am so sorry for the heartache that wanting to have a baby and not being able to when you want to brings. I love that quote by Jospeh F Smith - I hadn't heard that before. But true that with waiting brings an appreciation that sometimes doesn't come any other way. You will be such a great mom!!!! Hang in there sister. Love you.
    MElissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melis!!! Love you!!!! You are the best mom to Jenna!!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh man! Thanks for you comment.. I had to come see your blog. So you are such a sweetheart. I will tell you right now, this is so common, the insensitive things people say. You have a great attitude about it and have to keep that same mentality, because you're right- people don't mean to say hurtful things and so you just have to brush it off, but it stings huh! Seems like horrible timing for her to say all those things in the midst of your pain:( :(....I've gotten many insensitive comments also. I think that would be very painful to be talking about your struggles, only to hear complaints about pregnancy and how it only took her a few months to get pregnant. Stay strong girl. I know its a rough road but you have such faith and positivity. You deserved those cries in the car. Never feel ashamed about being sad because you're allowed to feel all those emotions. I'm gonna email you some details about Prague...

    ps. your Europe trip looked Magical!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment!!! Yeah, it does really hurt sometimes. One thing that I think not being able to get pregnant yet has helped me with is that I feel like I am more aware now about struggles people may have that you can't see on the outside & being more sensitive to that & to what I say to others. But it is still hard when people make comments that seems so insensitive. Thank you for your encouragement & sweet words!!! & your email!!!!

      Delete

Flickr Images